July 23, 2020
Savoury Mushroom Fettuccini
My husband and I received a mixer with a pasta maker attachment as a wedding gift and love making fresh noodles. It is time consuming and more work but they taste amazing. This recipe doesn’t include the directions for the fettuccini. If you choose to use store bought fettuccini, just follow the directions on the packaging.
I originally got the browned butter with mushroom and thyme idea from an orzo recipe. It was delicious but I thought it would also make a good fettuccini dish. So I got the creative juices flowing and thought adding the wild mushrooms, wine, chocolate, cream and fresh parmesan would make it super savoury. I was right! Delicious.
The first few directions have to be done really quickly and need constant attention so make sure you have everything prepared ahead of time and stay at the stove.
- 5 tbsp’s butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 yellow onion – diced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme – rinsed and stems removed
- 4 portobello mushrooms – rinsed, sliced and chopped
- 5 oyster mushrooms -rinsed, sliced and chopped
- 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate – thinly shaved
- 1 cup fresh parmesan – grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan – grated
- 1 lb of fettuccine
- If making homemade fettuccini, make it first.
- Brown the butter – Using a large frying pan on med/high heat add butter and immediately start whisking with a whisk. Continue whisking the butter until it becomes medium brown and frothy. Don’t let it burn.
- Immediately add onions and thyme, turn heat down to medium, and mix constantly for a couple min until onions are softened.
- Turn heat down to medium/low, add mushrooms and 2 tsp’s salt, mix occasionally for about 3-5 min until mushrooms are softened. Don’t mix too much. Let the salt and heat dry out the mushrooms.
- Mix in wine and chocolate then cover pan and cook for 5 min.
- If making packaged fettuccini, start now.
- Remove lid, add vegetable broth and cook for 15 min stirring occasionally. Watch it carefully and stir more often once the liquid is almost completely reduced to prevent sticking/burning.
- Turn heat to low. Add cream and stir often for 3-5 min.
- Turn heat off and mix in 1 cup of parmesan.
- Plate the creamy mushroom sauce over the fettuccini noodles. Sprinkle fresh parmesan on top and add salt/pepper to taste. (I would try the dish before adding salt as some of the ingredients already make it a bit salty).